Sunday, July 27, 2008

When the shop is left to it's own devices, idiocy abounds...

With my last post, I fully expected myself to once again create an atmosphere full of tantalizing promises and then not deliver. I do it all the time. Why should this blog be any different? But alas, once again, Life and the Right Frame (the frame shop where i work) have conspired against me! So now, another post with some of the things i promised. The results? Behold:

That's Right. It's exactly what you think it is. And yes, that is bacon.

If you haven't figured it out yet, it is indeed a cake made out of (mainly) meat. Why this strange concoction? It was my friend Dave's birthday on Thursday. And birthdays = cake.

But the thing was, I couldn't make him your normal birthday cake. He's on the Atkin's diet, and that pretty much means cake is a no-no. I used to work as a cake decorator before coming to the frame shop, so I know my way around cakes and am pretty confident that I can make a "cake" out of anything.

Thus the MEAT cake was born! The main cake layers are two giant patties made of a mixture of ground beef and breakfast sausage (think hamburguesas). The middle layer is a pork rind, sauted pork quiche (that = eggs + cheese + the aforementioned ingredients). Those layers were then topped with a round breakfast sausage pattie (normal size here, i'm not crazy), and everything was covered with the outside layer of bacon. Sauted onions were placed on top, and then covered with melted sharp cheddar cheese. After everything was cooked, two more small breakfast sausage patties were put on top, and deviled egg smooshe (i don't think there is a technical name for it) was piped on. Ketchup was used for the final piping of his name and the hearts. And those are grilled peppers on the sides. Oh yeah, and Slim Jims too.


I know, I know, this sounds extravagant (which it was, not to mention RIDICULOUS) and maybe just a little bit gross. But it actually turned out okay looking and pretty tasty. The man loved it, and that's all I care about. It was meant to be a joke, but he absolutely loved it and thought it was delicious. I just don't want to think about how many animals died for that cake (there was at least 4.5 lbs of meat in there....and that's just the stuff we could quantify. not to mention all the eggs i had to hard boil for the piping).

the MAN with his CAKEI'd say pretty good for drawing up the plans on the shop table and building it the day of...

and here are some more pictures from the celebration:

(to come in a moment)


oh, and we neeed one of these for the shop. any donations?


1 comment:

Chick Young said...

The perfect gift for Herr Grossfeld. Well done I say. Good Form!